Saving energy is good for both the individual and the world. By reducing the energy needed to heat and cool our homes, we reduce our carbon footprint, which helps the environment, too. By following just a few of the following simple energy saving tips, it is possible to save money when cooling and heating a home. The key to saving money is to take a “whole house” approach, rather than looking at its parts. For example, even an energy efficient air conditioning unit won’t help save money if the home it is cooling is poorly insulated.
These five practical energy saving tips can help save money and the environment:
- Programmable Thermostats: Programmable thermostats can lower utility bills by helping home owners manage their heating and cooling systems more efficiently. These thermostats can shave as much as $150 a year off energy bills, if they are used correctly. Find one that can automatically turn off the cooling system when no one is at home, and that will turn the system back on before anyone gets home in the evening, making for a cool (or warm, depending upon the season) home upon arrival.
- Fluorescent Bulbs: Lighting accounts for nearly 10 percent of a home’s energy costs. By replacing regular incandescent bulbs with energy-saving compact fluorescent bulbs, or CFLs, home owners can cut their lighting costs by as much as 75 percent. These bulbs consume less energy and they run longer, so they don’t have to be replaced as often.
- Air Conditioning: Setting the air conditioning at 78 degrees instead of 72 degrees can reduce cooling costs by as much as 18 percent. Also, having yearly air conditioning maintenance ensure your a/c unit is running at peak efficiency.
- Power Strips: Turning off things like lights, TVs, and computers (and monitors) when not in use can save a good deal of money over the course of the year. Plugging electronics into power strips makes them easy to turn off and on.
- Ducts: Each year, homeowners generally lose nearly 20 percent of their heated and cooled air through the duct system to the outside. To fix this waste, homeowners should have their ducts inspected to make sure they are sealed properly and insulated, if necessary. Ensuring the heating and cooling system is running properly can save a great deal on monthly heating and cooling bills.
Day & Night Air Conditioning
Residents in the Phoenix metro area who need help with air conditioning maintenance or installation should call Day & Night Air Conditioning today to schedule an appointment. We can help you troubleshoot your energy needs, and help you save money on your monthly heating and cooling bills!