The greater Phoenix area has some challenging air-quality issues. The American Lung Association puts our city as fifth worst for air pollution, and the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America names Maricopa County as the worst county in Arizona for allergies.
This means any HVAC contractor offering air-quality services in Arizona has to know the allergens, and how to overcome them, so customers can breathe easy.
Common Allergies in Arizona
To reduce allergy symptoms, you have to know the allergens in our Valley air. Plants alone produce plenty of problems:
- Trees: Mulberry, ash and mesquite all contribute to common symptoms like itchy eyes, sore throat and sinus pain; mulberry and mesquite pump out highly allergenic pollens, while ash cross-reacts with other pollens like olive because they share a protein also found in forsythia, lilac and privet, says the medical journal Allergy.
- Shrubs, weeds and grasses: Ragweed is everywhere in Arizona, and everywhere it sets allergy suffers into fits of itchy eyes, throats, ears and sneezing fits; Bermuda grass is extremely allergenic and appears in many Phoenix golf courses, parks and private lawns.
No Indoor Relief
Phoenix homes may offer some shelter to the allergy sufferer, but indoor air is often worse than outside air:
- Dust: Household dust is a rich stew of allergens.
- Dust mites: Dust mites live in dust and eat (brace yourself) our dead skin cells; their protein-rich droppings are allergens.
- Mold: Though Phoenix’s natural humidity is low, anywhere in your home that harbors high humidity probably also harbors mold and mildew.
- Pet dander: The tiny flakes of skin sloughed off your dog or cat can easily drift into your home’s airstream, setting off sneezing fits.
- Cockroach: Arizona is home to at least 20 different cockroach species, says Dave Owens, organic gardening guru; their droppings put out a protein that, once airborne, irritates mucus linings.
Need Some Fresh Air? Contact Day & Night Air Today!
If the air outside is irritating and the air inside your home sets off allergy symptoms, consider Day & Night Air’s professional air quality services. Our filters, purifiers and cleaners can rid your house of allergens and make life more breathable. Contact us today to get started!